Friday, July 6, 2012

What is Sustainability?
Sustainable means to keep something going forever. Sustainability refers to ensuring that planet EARTH
and all of its resources can continue to provide a home for humans and all other species (animals and
plants) forever.
Since our grandparents were born, humans recognize that we have created some problems on Earth.
These include loss of animal’s homes, air and water pollution, decreasing resources, climate changes
and many other factors affecting our environment and living communities. When we find “sustainable”
solutions to problems it means we find solutions that work well now and for the long term.
Thinking about Sustainability
When you think about sustainability, it is helpful to think about where the products and services that you
buy or use come from, where the waste goes, and what impact your consumption of products and
services has on other humans and other species.
Resources
As you think about a product, ask yourself about the resources needed to manufacture the item. Are the
materials from resources that are renewable or non-renewable? Renewable resources are those that
can be naturally regenerated as fast or faster than they will be depleted (used up). Also, energy
resources are needed to make and deliver the product and services? Energy also comes from
renewable and nonrenewable sources.

TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE:
Choose the more sustainable choice in each of these 10 situations, and circle it. Then look at the key
to see how much you know already about sustainability.
1.When I bring my lunch, I bring:
a. a homemade sandwich
b. a prepackaged lunch meal.
2. When I head to soccer practice, I take:
a. bottled water.
b. a reusable water bottle.
3. I live close to school, I:
a. Walk or ride my bike.
b. Get my parent to drive me.
4. I need to buy school supplies, I:
a. buy whatever paper looks the best to me.
b. buy the post-consumer recycled paper.
5. My mom says we are out of milk, I:
a. suggest that we walk the half mile to the store to get some.
b. stay home and watch TV, she’ll drive over to get some.
6. We stopped at the farmer’s market last Sunday, I
a. couldn’t wait to leave so we could go to the store and buy some mangos.
b. was thrilled to find some local apples.
7. We went crabbing last summer and
a. kept all the crabs we could get, then tried to eat them all, but had to throw some out.
b. kept enough crabs for our family, and left the rest to grow up and reproduce.
8. I will be starting a garden in my yard this year, I plan to:
a. spray herbicide to keep weeds down.
b. pull the weeds by hand.
9. When I get old enough to buy my own car, I want to get:
a. the biggest, fastest car I can afford.
b. a hybrid or other fuel efficient vehicle.
10. To maintain forests as a renewable resource:
a. all the trees can be cut because they will grow back.
b. only a portion of the trees should be cut so as to leave the environment for animal homes.

1)B, 2)B, 3)A, 4)B, 5)A, 6)B, 7)B, 8)B, 9)B, 10)B
Information submitted by: Joshua, Ian, Sally.

No comments:

Post a Comment